Tuesday, March 10, 2009

March 10, 2009

It has been an awful past week...first, my brother ends back up in the hospital with further complications to his colon cancer and my father is also admitted with complications to his brain cancer. My sister and I have been living at 2 different hospitals for a week. I have been consumed with their medical treatments, tests, diagnoses, expectations and the like that I know I have taken a back seat to my needs. It is so easy to get lost amongst all of this. The first few days, I didn't do very well with planning meals. I didn't overeat but I wasn't eating properly either. The hospital that my father is at, has a cafe that actually shows all the nutritional info on the items from the grill. This helped and I would normally have some squash and veggies and a small salad to keep the meal under 500 calories. After a couple days of this, I began to pack food from home. I would often make salmon and/or chicken with rice and veggies. My father hated the hospital food so I would make enough for him and since he was on a strict diet, I would have to make sure that the food I prepared for us to eat was both diabetic and heart healthy.
I have pretty much come to terms with the fact that I didn't receive the procedure and that I am a member of the control group. I can eat a meal and not feel anything. That doesn't mean that I do not make efforts because I am trying very hard to track what I eat and make every effort to eat right and exercise (not a lot but I am working on that). Though I am disappointed, I will stay on the study because I will have the option to have the procedure when it is completed and maybe I will be in a better position health wise (mentally, as well) to maximize the benefits of the TOGA.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about your week and the family medical problems. However, I'm proud of you for still making good meal choices! I know its so easy to say, "well, its a crisis, I'll just eat this (burger, fried chicken or fill in the blank with what ever unhealthy food choice, etc)", because it's there.
    I'm fairly certain I'm in the control group too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tasch! Tell me more about why you feel you are in the control group? Keep up a positive attitude about this study...this could be a blessing for us both. We will learn more about nutrition and be better prepared for the procedure at the end...maybe they will have worked out the kinks as well :)
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy,

    You know I'm praying for your entire family right now. I can not imagine how hard a time you are all going through. Keep up the positive attitude. I think your right this might be a very good thing to get the procedure done after they have all kinks out!! I'm here when ever you need anything (except please do NOT call me again during American Idol unless, it is an emergency ;) ) Love ya~

    ReplyDelete