Monday, March 30, 2009

Mar 30, 2009

I have become a nomad...I left my brothers house to go to my friends house for a week. They are vacationing in Florida and I am watching the house and pets. Being on the run and away from home for such long periods of time means I have to really prepare and think about what I am eating. I bring my own food where ever I go so that I have no excuses for not sticking to a healthy eating regiment. I am walking Harley (their dog) everyday and my friend gave me her key to their fitness center so I will be trying to get in a daily work out while I am here.
My friend is paying me to do this and I only accept the money because I have been unemployed since Jan 6th so I have decided to strip the wall paper (2 layers!!!) in her kitchen and paint it an amazing shade of red. (this is something she has wanted to do for sometime) I am hoping with the increased activity that I will see the numbers start to move in the right direction. I haven't weighed myself because I haven't been home so I want to wait until my 3 month in 2 weeks to see my progress.

Since all of this has began, I have started becoming far more accountable for everything I eat. Eating things that have nutritional value, making better decisions, cutting back on portions and eating actual servings, drinking lots of water, sleeping 7-8 hours nightly, stepping up my activity, meal planning and logging everything! I feel like everyday I am aware of everything I am eating and before any of this started I just did and ate what I wanted. I thought I was making good decisions but obviously I was not. I have allowed the lbs to creep up on me over the years and never really gave it another thought. I do not want my lifestyle of over indulgence and inactivity to continue. I see first hand how that has such a negative impact on your over all health and your ability to fight off diseases. My father lived his life very much the same way I have lived mine and it has a price. He cannot have a higher does of chemo because his obesity has caused other complications and the doctors feel it would do more harm than good right now. I think that that is too high a price to pay.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're heading in the right direction! Did you ever hear back from Yolanda?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a TOGA support group on yahoo. Check it out if you want.

    http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/TogaSupportGroup/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so touched by your story. I will be praying for you and your family. I am also going through the toga study. My surgery is scheduled for April 28th. I know I will need all the will power in the world to do this.
    LOTS OF LOVE Alicia Huff

    ReplyDelete